TES Report: Hydroxychloroquine & The Burden of Proof
The Economic Standard is proud to present our first white paper. We demonstrate through meticulously sourced analysis:
1) Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is a safe, versatile medicine that has treated hundreds of millions of people for many diseases over seven decades.
2) Numerous controlled observational studies and meta-analyses have demonstrated that HCQ can help people with COVID-19.
3) Hundreds of drugs have been approved by the U.S. FDA on the basis of similar observational studies, especially when conducted in large numbers and subject to meta-analysis.
4) As a matter of medical practice and especially in a pandemic emergency, it is not the case that only randomized controlled trials can justify adopting a treatment.
5) HCQ should be more widely recommended, prescribed and promoted to treat COVID-19 right now.
Our goal is to advance debate about public policy. This paper was produced without financial support or ethical conflicts of any kind, in close collaboration with practicing physicians and infectious disease specialists from across the U.S. and around the world. We are extremely grateful for their help in ensuring the accuracy of our analysis. Any mistakes are ours alone.
The Economic Standard