By Andy Blom, TES Contributor
In the midst of steamy heat, spectacular fireworks, parades and an inspiring speech, Congress was hard at work during Independence Week – working to get away for their summer break. Meanwhile, free market conservatives continue to work on legislation, policy initiatives and practical approaches. Here’s a roundup of last week’s activity in Washington…
- Watch Joe Biden and Kamala Harris Agree – Let’s Raise Taxes! Americans for Tax Reform has released a video showing one issue on which Biden and Harris are in sync: the desire to raise our taxes. Watch this funny, scary video and see much more at www.atr.org.
- A New Look at Federal Law Enforcement. Paul Larkin, a Senior Legal Research Fellow of the Institute for Constitutional Government at the Heritage Foundation has released a thoughtful and comprehensive call for A New Law Enforcement Agenda for a New Attorney General. Larkin views past, present and suggested future Federal law enforcement through a constitutional lens. The abstract can be found at https://ssm.com/abstract=3402503.
- Is Age an Issue? Jim Martin of 60+ Discusses Age and the Candidates. From 79-year-old Bernie Sanders – born 3 months before Pearl Harbor was bombed – to 37 –year-old wet behind the ears Pete Buttigieg, the age and relevant experience of our Presidential candidates makes for interesting discussion. Read more on Senior issues and policy at www.60plus.org.
- Global Warming Update: Are the Seas Rising or are the Coasts Subsiding? It may be the answer is both. But with the varied hysteria over ‘rising oceans’ and disappearing polar bears, it seems that almost no one is taking into account land subsidence (i.e., the sea is not rising, the land is sinking). John Palatiello, writing in P.O.B. Magazine (www.pobonlie.com) calls on Congress for a subsidence survey that would require involvement from several Federal agencies and might shed new light on the Climate Change controversy.
- Religious Freedom Center Stage. The Religious Freedom Institute has much to each us about religious persecution around the world and is featuring several worthwhile events the week of July 15th. Learn more at www.religiousfreedominstitute.org and check the “Events” tab.
- Now at Your Local Bookstore: AMERICAN RESTORATION. Subtitled How Faith, Family, and Personal Sacrifice Can Heal Our Nation, a new book by Timothy S. Goeglein and Craig Osten gives a roadmap for the return of the America we all long for. To see the way to reawakening, regeneration and renewal visit your local bookstore, Barnes & Noble or, of course, Amazon.
- REPUBLICAN NATIONAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION RNLA Women’s Network Luncheon, featuring Sen. Marsha Blackburn. Wednesday, July 10, 12 PM – 1 PM. The Capitol Hill Club. Men are also invited. RSVP: RNLA.org/DC_Women.
- SUPREME COURT REVIEW OF THE 2018-2019 TERM. Distinguished Panels of Practioners and Journalists. Thursday, July 11, 11 AM – 1 PM. Heritage Foundation’s Allison Auditorium. RSVP: heritage.org/events.
- Book Presentation: JUSTICE ON TRIAL, The Kavanaugh Confirmation and the Future of the Supreme Court. Authors Carrie Severino and Mollie Hemingway. Tuesday, July 16, 12 PM. Heritage Foundation’s Lehrman Auditorium. RSVP: heritage.org/events.
- REPUBLICAN NATIONAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION Virginia Reception: 2019 Elections, An Insider Briefing. Thursday, July 18, 6:30 PM. Lyon Hall, 3100 Washington Blvd., Arlington, VA. RSVP: RNLA.org/VA_2019.
- AMIA 25th ANNIVERSARY Improving Regional Counterterrorism Cooperation in the Wake of a Tragedy. Policy Discussion. Keynote: Sen. Ted Cruz. Thursday, July 25, 9 AM – 12 PM. Russell Senate Office Bldg., Room 485. RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NATIONAL FEDERATION OF REPUBLICAN WOMEN is holding their 40th Biennial Convention, September 26 – 29 in Indianapolis. The NFRW Convention will bring together nearly 1,300 women who are political and business leaders in their communities and states. For Exhibitor Opportunities and/or Program Advertising, contact Lucy Powers at email@example.com.
- Austrian Economics Center, Hayek Institut, and Fundacion Internacional Bases,Austrian School of Economics in the 21st Century, November 13-14, Vienna, Austria. Web site.
Andy Blom is a senior policy and political writer, strategist, analyst and activist.